TIZIANO FRATUS: A POET MIXING VISIONS OF NATURE AND HUMANITY
Tiziano Fratus grew up looking at and listening the elements of nature. Long summers alone in the wide plane of Lumbardy and after among the beautiful hills of Monferrato, in Piedmont. As a young adult he begin to surf in the woods and ancient forests of the alps. Reaching the kingdom of monumental conifers in California he found a new reason, a new idea of identity. So new trees and roots and leaves blossomed on the paper.
Among his poetry collections Il molosso (The Molossus, three editions – Edizioni Torino Poesia), Il respiro della terra (The Breath of the land – Edizioni Torino Poesia), Nuova Poesia Creaturale (New Creatural Poetry – Edizioni Torino Poesia), Un quaderno di radici (A Notebook of Roots – Feltrinelli), Musica per le foreste (Music for the Forests – First edition Mondadori, second edition Aboca), Vergine dei nidi (Virgin of the Nests – Feltrinelli).
Last poetry production is influenced by the idea of the minimalist sacred music, inspired by artists as Arvo Part, Harold Budd, Ten Holt, Stefan Micus, Phjilip Glass and John Tavener. He works to create poems “in a shape of seeds, leaves and trees”, “miniated forests” as he like to consider them. This writing series embraces the antology Poesie creaturali. Un bosco in versi (Creatural Poems. A Wood in Lines – Libreria della Natura, Milan, 2019) and the new collection Sogni di un disegnatore di fiori di ciliegio (Dreams of a Cherry Flowers Sketcher – Aboca, Sansepolcro, 2020).
Fratus’ poetry has been translated into ten languages and published by international magazines and journals; he has been selected for the international platform Versopolis that connect largest european poetry festivals. In 2010 Creaturing, a selection of his poetry, has been published in the US by Marick Press and presented across the country, in 2017 a new selection titled Eleven Root Poems has been translated and published in UK by Five Seasons Press and presented in Ledbury Poetry Festival. In 2020 his poetic voice is published in the Uk in the international Versopolis Anthology Europe in Poems, Arc Publications, embracing sxt new poets. Fratus is also columnist for newspapers and he’s living in a little village at the foot of the Italian Alps; he was honored by Cinemambiente Festival with Acorn Prize and by International Prize Il Ceppo for his Green and New Nature Literature.
>>> Listen the poem Selfportrait of Landscape with Mulberry | Duration: min. 0.35
>>> Read Baby Girl, a poem to celebrate the Holocaust Memorial Day
>>> Read Notes from a Stream, a definition in verses of the silvo-buddism
Here the cover of the new collection of poems: Sogni di un disegnatore di fiori di ciliegio, Dreams of a Cherry Flowers Sketcher, published by Aboca.
And here the cover of the international anthology Europe in Poems, out now in the Uk by Arc Publication!
>>> Tiziano Fratus – A new poetic voice in Europe – Versopolis
>>> Creaturing – Fratus collection in the US – Marick Press
>>> Double Skin – 5 Italian Poets and 5 Singaporean Poets – Ethos Books
>>> Eleven Root Poems – The book, Five Season Press in Hereford
>>> Tiziano Fratus guest at Ledbury Poetry Festival 2017
>>> Tiziano Fratus guest at Struga Poetry Evenings 2018
>>> Read 3 poems (bilingual) in «Conversation Poetry Quarterly» (UK)
>>> Creaturing – Ilya Kaminski & Kathryn Farris, Web del Sol
>>> Creatures, Inside and Out: Tiziano Fratus’s Creaturing by Michale O’ Sullivan, Cha: an Asian Literary Journal
>>> Creaturing reviewed by Paul Martinez Pompa – Big Bridge
ABOUT HIS POETRY
«Creaturing by Tiziano Fratus is the book of a citizen who is able to look at history through its abstractions and details and find music where others saw propaganda, find humanity where others saw statistics, find remmbering alive and afire, among things too many of us are ready to forget» Ilya Kaminski & Kathryn Farris – Web del Sol / Poetry International
«Fratus’ poetry explores what it means to be a young italian poet today in the shadow of historical, cultural and traditional forces» Francesco Levato – The Poetry Center of Chicago
«Francesco Levato’s translation into english of Tiziano Fratus’ collection Creaturing is stunning in its seemingly effortless and lyrically precise momentum. There is non question, this is an important collection and a most impressive and accomplished translation» Malena Morling – University of North Carolina
«The book’s title, Creaturing, begets further irony as we come to see humanity itself as a king of creature that engages in all sorts of vile behavior white actual animals, by contrast, are rendered as potentially noble beings» Paul Martinez Pompa – Big Bridge
– Wo Lyrik Zuhause ist. Tiziano Fratus – Publisher: Edition Aramo in Vienna
– L’Italia è un giardino / Italy is a Garden – Publisher: Laterza in Rome/Bari
– Il sole che nessuno vede / The Sun which Nobody sees – Publisher: Ediciclo in Portogruaro
– Poèmes / Poems / Poesie – Publisher: La Traductière in Paris
– Vergine dei nidi. poesie creaturali / Virgin of the Nests. Creatural poems – Publisher: Feltrinelli in Milan
– Eleven root poems / Undici poesie radice – Publisher: Five Seasons Press in Hereford
– I giganti silenziosi / Silent Giants – Publisher: Bompiani in Milan
– Manuale del perfetto cercatore d’alberi (a new edition) – Publisher: Feltrinelli in Milan
– Il bosco è un mondo / Wood is a World (Essay) – Publisher: Einaudi in Turin
– Waldo Basilius (a gothic fairy-tale) – Publisher: Pelledoca in Milan
– Landscapes, Natures, Ecologies. Italy and the Environmental Humanities – Publisher: University of Virginia Press in Charlottesville
– Poesie creaturali. Un bosco in versi / Creature Poems. A wood in verses – Publisher: Libreria della Natura in Milan
– Giona delle sequoie. Viaggio fra i giganti rossi del Nord America / Jonas of the Sequoias. Travel among Red Giants in North America – Publisher: Bompiani in Milan
– Interrestràre. Quaderno di meditazioni / A notebook of meditations – Publisher: Lindau in Turin
– Storia di un albero / History of a Tree (bilingual edition) – Publisher: Silvana in Turin
– Sogni di un disegnatore di fiori di ciliegio / Dreams of a Cherry Flowers Sketcher – Publisher: Aboca in Sansepolcro
– Europe in Poems. The Versopolis Anthology – Publisher: Arc Publications in Lancs
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL EVENTS
Tiziano Fratus ha been invited by national and international Festivals (Singapore Writers Festival, Comedie du Livre in Montpellier, Literatur und Wein in Krems – Osterreich, Druskininkai Poetic Fall in Lithuania, Turin Book Fair, Genoa International Poetry Festival, Ars Poetica Bratislava, Poestate Lugano, Bookcity Milan, Ledbury Poetry Festival, Mantua Festivaletteratura, Firenze Book Fair, Rome Ritratti di Poesia Festival, Milan Tempo di Libri, Torino Spiritualità, Goran’s Spring in Zagreb, Struga Poetry Evenings), Italian Institutes of Culture (Singapore, Chicago, Lisbon, Marsille, Amsterdam, Lugano, Edimburgh), Universities (Columbia – New York, Vermont – Burlington, Illinois – Chicago, State University – San Diego, Statale – Torino), cultural centres (Book Center – Minneapolis, Casa Fernando Pessoa – Lisbon, Felix Kulpa Art Gallery – Santa Crux, Jersey Arts Centre – Jersey), botanical gardens and parks.
[All the poems reproduced in this page are translated by Eleonora Matarrese]